Speech Therapy at the Parkinson’s Disease Clinic Ortenau
The ability to communicate is a focal point of one’s personality and social skills.
Dysarthria (voice and speech disorders)
The basis of logopaedic treatment is a differentiated diagnosis of the breathing, voice and speaking functions and an individual treatment plan for the improvement of the ability to communicate.
Content and main focus of the logopaedic exercises (dysarthria):
- Voice exercises for the improvement of speaking volume according to Lee Silverman Voice Treatment, LSVT LOUD
- Functional voice exercises for modulation, use of voice and voice placement
- Activating breathing exercises
- Exercises for the improvement of articulation and speech clarity
- Exercises for speech motor control (rate of speaking, fluency)
- Deliberate exercises for the conscious use of facial expressions and gestures
- Mouth motor function exercises
- Language exercises for finding appropriate words and retrieval of words
Dysphagia (chewing and swallowing disorders)
Many patients also suffer from chewing and swallowing disorders. The extent of these disorders can vary greatly from a minimal impairment to a high level, life-threatening danger of aspiration. Accurate diagnosis is therefore extremely important and the basis for the treatment plan.
The diagnostics for dysphagia (neurological based swallowing disorder) include:
- Observation of food-intake and drinking behaviour during meals
- Clinical examination of the organs involved in swallowing
- Clinical swallow test
Depending on the findings of the diagnostics we offer an endoscopic evaluation of swallowing, performed by a doctor: Fiberoptic Endoscopic Evaluation of Swallowing (FEES).
Contents of the functional dysphagia therapy (FDT)
- Consultation and advice
- Behavioural and oral intake training
- Restorative measures (activation of important movements for the chewing and swallowing process)
- Compensatory processes (changing the chewing and swallowing behaviour, swallowing techniques)
- Adaptive methods (drinking and eating aids, adjustment of diet)